CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Mad.

Yes I am. I just went to the library with my kids for a morning story telling, craft session etc. There was this mother who was feeding her kids food all through the story time. First chips, then crackers, then apples and then fruit bars. I was getting madder and madder. The kids with the fruit bar then crawls over to the pillows and rubs it in all the pillows that are there for the kids to sit on. One of those pillows being the one that my kids are sitting on. I moved James to my lap. Then there is bits of bar all over the pillow and Shannon leans back into it. I said to her to stay out of the food. The mother looked at me and then flicked the food off the pillow (straight onto the others) with her hand. I said to her that " my child is allergic to some foods and he could get sick now from sitting on that pillow" . Her reaction??? Not sorry I didnt know, Not sorry at all. Just to glare at me and say "well, what is he allergic to then?" I wanted to hit her! I told her and then threw in a few others just for good measure. She then walked off with her kids. Another mother was chatting to me at the end of the class and I mentioned that I had pissed off one of the regular mothers (I only go every now and again). So we got talking about kids, allergies etc. Then she mentions.. They are always going on about nut allergies, but that doesn't really help you does it? I agreed that nut allergy does seem to get the most attention. Then she said, I was talking to a few of the mothers at my childs school and we all agree that our child should not have to go without Nutella in their sandwich, just because there is a child that is allergic to nuts. They don't have the allergy so why should they miss out". I could have then knocked her out too! Why? Why? BECAUSE why should that child take the risk of dying everyday, just because your child wants to take a Nutella sandwich to school for lunch!! I just knew that if I started I would not stop, so I pointed out to her that allergic reactions could happen without the child eating the food and just coming in contact with it was dangerous for them and then left it at that. I am however, going to ring the library later to have a chat with them about signs up etc. What makes me so mad is that the Childrens Area in the Ellenbrook Library is really great and this was a safe place for me to take James without any worries because you are not allowed to eat or drink in the library. Guess that theory is now out the window!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

NO - YOU ARE NOT OVERREACTING AT ALL !!!

So why are you allowed to eat and drink in Libary's now?

Great for the books as well! not that is the main reason!


I CANT BELEIVE SOME PEOPLE!

And Nutella is just wonderful for growning kids - all that smooth fat and heaps of sugar! - dont give it to them anyway - there are better spreads out there than a chocolate sandwich!

You are only trying to protect James, Shelley and not only is that the right thing to do because he is your son and you love him but that is your job being his parent - and I for one want to tell you what a fantastic job you do of this every day and night - James could not be in any better hands - I take my hat off to you my darling friend

Luv you lots Jen xxx

vicki said...

I totallly agree with Jen, Shel..

I cant believe some people..
definately have a chat with my Mum- she will try and do something.;

Cheer up hun

luv ya lots

vick